Across the globe, you can see various types of horses being used for different horse-riding activities. However, horses are huge animals, so most people prefer them as their riding partners. It won’t be wrong to say that if your horse is safe, there are high chances you will be safe too. Likewise, if you follow the proper guidelines of horse riding, there will be no injury or other issues.
It’s quite easy to keep up with the health and safety of horse riding activity if you follow the proper guidelines. Also, the matter of fact is that people often take these measures a little less seriously, which is why there are issues in horse riding activity. Furthermore, they end up hurting themselves and the horse as well.
Read More: Everything You Need for a Horse Riding in ONE Simple List
Why it’s important to maintain a horse’s health?
If you are into horse riding, it’s obvious to know that your horse’s health matters the most. It’s more likely to say that a healthy horse will improve your riding performance. On the other hand, if the horse is unwell, it will face trouble completing the task. Thus, resulting in severe injuries and poor health performance.
Here are a few points that will mention the importance of horse health for horseback riding –
- The proper health of the horse will prevent them from getting hurt.
- It will improve the rider’s performance while riding a healthy, fit horse.
- The horse riding equipment will sit well on a healthy horse in proper shape.
- It will make the horse comfortable and improves the rider’s riding routine.
- It will avoid accidental falls that may cause injury to the horse and the rider.
Likewise, it’s on the positive side of keeping your horse’s health in check so they are comfortable during the ride. Furthermore, it is advisable to always get your horse’s health checked after 4 to 6 months.
Focusing on your Horse’s Health & Safety
Horseback riding is fun, whether for ranching work or simply learning to race on the horse’s back. While it can be a fascinating task, it means you are sitting on a horse that weighs around 1,000 pounds and travels at the fastest speed. Likewise, you have to be aware of the thought that it can be dangerous to ride a horse without safety measures.
Riding a horse without safety and precautions can majorly cause issues for the rider and the horse. In general terms, following the health and safety steps for horse riding will put the rider and the horse at the lowest risk.
Even if you are with the horse outside the riding field, always make a distance from the animal. That’s how it will prevent you from getting hurt by the horse’s behavior. Needless to say, practicing safety will be the best advice for the riders.
See Also: Bridle: An Important Component of Horseback Riding
Keeping Up with the Health & Safety – For Horse Riding Activity
Generally, if you are concerned about the horse’s behavior, it may not be comfortable with other humans. They are not very good with people who are strangers to them. Let’s say a horse is comfortable with its trainer but may not show the same behavior as someone else. Moreover, they may show aggressive behavior or hurt the other person standing next to them.
It’s better to practice safety beforehand so that you can enjoy the ride with the horse. Here are a few steps that you can follow –
- If your horse gets injured during a ride, treat it on time. In case they continue riding with the pain, it can be an immense issue.
- Transferring horses from one place to another will be alarming as well. More so, they can develop new health issues and other safety risks that they usually don’t face.
- While riding the horse, if your balance is not at the center, it will surely confuse the horse. Thus, there can be a high chance of accidental falls during the ride.
Tips for Safe Horseback Riding
Horseback riding is an exciting activity that sometimes can also be dangerous as it requires a lot of strength. No matter how well-trained your horse is, there can be times when you’ll need an expert’s advice. Thus, to make every ride safe during horseback riding, you must adapt to the following tips –
- Always choose a horse that’s suitable for your riding level. If you are a beginner, then make sure you go for a well-behaved horse.
- Before beginning with horseback riding, make sure the track is free of any unattended objects. If there’s any other person on the track, ask them to stay out of reach until you learn the basics.
- If you are still learning the basics of horseback riding, do not get on the horse’s back without the expert’s supervision. In addition, learning under an expert’s watch will make you learn quickly and without accidental falls.
- It’s beneficial to carry all the necessary horse riding equipment. But, most importantly, one should always wear a good quality helmet for horse riding to avoid any accidental injuries.
- If your horse is agitated, it might be tough to handle it alone. Thus, requiring help from an expert is the need of the hour so that there’s no pressure on the horse.
- Once you are about to begin your horseback riding activity, re-check for the following fittings – girth, stirrups leather, and other signs of weakness.
If it’s the first time you are learning how to ride, ensure you have all things aligned correctly. Take control over the horse, like keeping the reins in firm contact. It’s similar to riding any other vehicle, like a bike or car. But, being the horse, a living creature, you have to be more careful.
Statistics of Horseback Riding in the USA
- Almost 30 million people in the United States are involved in horseback riding.
- The ratio of owning a horse for horseback riding is just half, as not everyone owns a horse.
- According to the survey, there’s a high rate of serious injuries in horseback riding. Likewise, it’s even more than the cases upheld for motorcycle or automobile racers.
- Approximately 20% of injuries that occur during horseback riding are a result of the rider being dismounted from the horse.
- In the case of back injuries, about 15% of the riders suffer from these issues due to the ill-fitted use of equipment. It’s common for those using the wrong side of the saddle and similar tools.
While the guidelines will help you in staying safe, it’s also necessary to stay in contact with the expert’s advice. Needless to say, a proper horseback riding schedule will help you make the right decision.
When safety is the easiest option to keep yourself and the horse in a better position, it’s what you must choose. Likewise, you will enjoy many rides with your partner if you follow the proper techniques. Henceforth, you can take help from a veterinarian and keep your horse healthy and fit for its safety.
Written by Sara Smith
Thanks for dropping by! Sara is our blog writing expert and trained herself in endurance riding. Through her articles, she is trying to inform others more about equine life and its related terms.
Top Rated products
Exclusive Treeless Synthetic Saddle Royal blue/ Black matching Girth
Rated 5.00 out of 5
New western Brown leather saddle size 14, 15, 16 inch
Rated 5.00 out of 5
Exclusive All purpose Treeless Synthetic saddle Beige/Brown +accessories
Rated 5.00 out of 5
Designer Western Leather Barrel saddle Decorated Silver plates and fitting
Rated 5.00 out of 5$299.00
Black cross over Bitless with designer golden chain on Brow
Rated 5.00 out of 5
Leave a Reply